- The Mining industry in India is one of the core industries of the economy. It provides basic raw materials to many important industries.
- The Mining industry is characterized by a large number of small operational mines.
- India is endowed with huge resources of many metallic and non-metallic minerals. India is home to 1,531 operating mines and produces 95 minerals, which includes 4 fuels, 10 metallic, 23 non-metallic, 3 atomic and 55 minor minerals (including building and other materials).
- The number of mines which reported mineral production (excluding atomic, fuel and minor minerals) in India stood at 1405 in 2018-19 as compared to 1430 in 2017-18.
- Based on the geological mapping of the country, an area of 571,000 sq. km, out of a total of 3.1 mn sq. km. has been demarcated as Obvious Geological Potential (OGP) area, where the geological potential for the occurrence of mineral deposits is higher.